Friday, November 11, 2011

What's in a Name?

Hello all! I was listening to "Revelation Song", by Jennie Lee Riddle and performed by Kari Jobe and Gateway Worship. It's a great song, and if you haven't heard it you can check it out here: Revelation Song. I have listened to this song many times, but this time the bridge (or third verse) really came alive for me. The lyrics are: "Filled with wonder, awestruck wonder, at the mention of your name. Jesus, your name is power, breath, and living water, such a marvelous mystery." I just started thinking about everything that makes the name of Jesus special.  And the thing that grasped me was the wonder that we get to use His name at all.

When I was pursuing my vocal music degree I had the wonderful privilege of studying under Jim and Anne Beane. Both were highly-gifted, caring, and very patient. Well...Mrs. Beane was patient :) Mr. Beane would bend over backwards to help you learn; but he had high expectations that you would fulfill your role responsibly. I remember toward the end of my senior year, the Beanes invited the graduating seniors from their voice lab over to their house for a special meal. It was part celebration and part rite of passage. At a particular point in the evening, they reminded each of us that once we graduated we would be peers and colleagues -no more "Mr." and "Mrs.", they would be Jim and Anne.

I still admire and respect the Beanes greatly. I went to see them a few years ago and was greeted with a warm embrace at the door. But I have to admit that even after such a welcome, I could barely get the words "Jim" and "Anne" out of my mouth. They were my teachers, mentors, and music royalty to me. I don't know who you may have held in such high regard that the privilege of using their first name daunted you, but I'm sure there has been someone. Do you begin to see the connection?

The triune God of all creation who sees all, knows all, created all, has made himself available to us on such an intimate level that we are on a first name basis. Who am I that God should notice me? Without His breath blown into us we are literally dust. God the Son left the glory of heaven to take on flesh, and a purpose, and a name. And with great love and grace He poured out for us His flesh and His purpose and His name. Friends it is no small thing to be able to kneel in prayer and call out to God as Abba, which translates as "Daddy"; or to end our prayers with "...in Jesus' name." So, I am "filled with wonder, awestruck wonder, at the mention of [His]name."

         "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received a Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." - Romans 8:15


          "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" 
- Philippians 2:9-11
                                                                      Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment