Monday, November 21, 2011

Spoiled!

I was finishing up some chores around the house today and preparing to make a run to the store. One of the items I needed to pick up was a prescription refill. The problem was, I actually have a few days left on the last prescription. Everything will be closed down for Thanksgiving and we will be busy so I wanted to get it early. Do you ever have conversations with yourself about possible future difficulties that might arise to spoil your plans? Well, that's what I started doing. It went something like this:
Me: "I wonder if they'll let me fill it a few days early?"
Me Too: "I've heard them tell other people at the register that they couldn't do a refill because it wasn't time yet."
Me: "Surely a few days early shouldn't be a problem..."
Me Too: "But what if they do say no...then I'll have to contact my doctor in order to get it approved...and it will be just my luck that he isn't in...Then what...?
Me: "Well surely they have some procedure for getting around this..."
It was about then that God stepped in.
God: "You know Sean, there are people all over the world who don't even have access to medicines. As a matter of fact, you know some people who live in places where they are dying of things like diarrhea and bacterial infections because they don't even have clean water let alone medicine to cure these simple problems you take for granted. Perhaps...you know, in light of Thanksgiving and all, you should just be thankful that you have access to medicine period. I'm just saying..."

I don't know if God talks to you like that, but that's a pretty normal sample of the way He deals with me. And I heard the message loud and clear. Here I was worrying about the ways my plans might get spoiled; and completely oblivious to the fact that I was BEING spoiled. I have been so blessed throughout my life. And each blessing piled upon the others just makes it so much easier to take it all for granted. It's like when you get a raise at work and for the first month or two you appreciate the extra income. But, it doesn't take long before the new paycheck becomes the NORM and you can't see how you could possibly live on less than what you make now.

I was born in a country of opportunities to great Christian parents who provided all the resources, love, wisdom etc. that I needed. I didn't earn that starting place in life and it didn't have to be that way. I don't know why I have been so blessed when so many others start out with no resources, opportunity, and little hope for the future. But, it seems to me the least I can do is be appreciative...really, deeply appreciative. I've often quoted the verses from 1 Thessalonians 5:18 and Timothy 6:6; but I guess I still have a lot of growing to do in living them out. With God's help I'll get there a little day by day. Come join in the journey!

1 Thessalonians 5:18 - "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the God's will for you in               
                                         Christ Jesus."


1 Timothy 6:6 -"...godliness with contentment is great gain."

Happy Thanksgiving all!
                      

No comments:

Post a Comment